Product Details: 1881-CC Morgan Dollar GSA Holder w/Box & COA
The 1881 date mark within the Morgan Silver Dollar Series, originating from the Carson City Mint, was once esteemed as a rarity among its counterparts. In the 20th century, collectors found the original mintage of 296,000 coins to be extremely elusive (most Morgan Years have mintage figures of well over 10 million).
The landscape changed dramatically when the US Treasury stumbled upon extensive reserves of uncirculated Morgan Silver Dollars within its vaults. Commencing in the 1970s, the Morgan Dollar GSA series or Government Services Administration (GSA) facilitated public auctions, unleashing a plethora of previously undiscovered Carson City Morgan Silver Dollars. Currently, these coins, packaged by the GSA, are available for online purchase here at FMRGOLD.
- Arrives within GSA hard plastic holders and presentation boxes, complete with a Certificate of Authenticity.
- Marks the 4th date in the Morgan Silver Dollar series. Limited mintage of only 296,000 coins. Contains .77344 Troy oz of actual silver content.
- Bears a face value of $1 (USD) backed by the federal government.
- Features Lady Liberty on the obverse and a heraldic eagle on the reverse.
- Stamped with “CC” mint marks from the Carson City Mint.
- Each 1881-CC Morgan Silver Dollar includes the original GSA packaging.
During the 1970s and 1980s, the GSA, while auctioning the US Treasury’s hoard of Morgan Silver Dollars, housed the coins in hard plastic holders. Each coin, accompanied by its plastic holder, was presented in a box along with a Certificate of Authenticity.
On the obverse, the 1881 Morgan Silver Dollar features a left-profile bust of Liberty, inspired by the teacher and writer Anna Willess Williams, who sat for portrait sessions with George T. Morgan during the design’s creation.
The reverse of the 1881-CC Morgan Dollar showcases an image of the heraldic eagle of the United States, also designed by George T. Morgan. This depiction features an American bald eagle in front-facing relief.